Monday, June 10, 2013

Nutrition Tip for the Day: Stay Local!

After taking a few days off early last week I spent the past four days in Providence for the most recent Perform Better Performance Training Summit. These events are always amazing for the content, energy, networking, socials and hands-on learning experience.

I've been rifling through my notes to try to avoid the normal post-conference effects of forgetting almost everything I thought I had learned. While I do this I thought I'd share a quick note from Chris Mohr who gave a talk geared towards dispelling some basic myths of nutrition.

One focus of the lecture was clearing up the debate of Organic vs. Non-Organic eating. Which is better?

Dr. Mohr's approach was great in that it focused on the big picture. In other words, don't get bogged down by minutiae when trying to make nutrition changes for the better.

He made a lot of good points but one that is easy to remember is that it's much better (from a nutrition standpoint) to eat locally grown produce as opposed to food items that had to spend time in shipping. If you can get food that was picked yesterday instead of last week , the nutrient profile will be much more favorable. Your body will make much better use of the locally grown food vs. the preserved item.

Was organic better? In some cases. But when in doubt keep it simple and go local!

No comments:

Post a Comment